The 2017 CMW Annual Meeting was held September 11, 2017 at 5 PM in Watab Hall. The food was great, the networking even better. Kerry Kupferschmidt was happy to announce that Gordon Schrank is to be the 2018-19 President and Susan Jensen-Cekalla, new Vice-President. The Silent Auction was a great success resulting in more than $500 addition to our coffers which is the result of generous members both in giving to the Silent Auction and in purchasing these donated items. Thank you !
At the end of this post see also – the CMW Website Update which was distributed at the Annual meeting.
COMING UP NEXT
September 30th, 2017 – One Day Workshop by Donna Jarvae
Donna will present a new option for your watercolor paintings. No matting, no framing, no glass to clean. Get the new, modern look of stretched canvas with the beauty of watercolor and all of its properties. Donna will cover how to stretch and prepare paper for wrapping around a wooden frame The paper then has to dry completely to make the surface tight as a drum. Donna will have prepared canvasses for attendees to paint on. She will also have some extra wood frames available for purchase if you are interested. Then attendees will paint on the stretched paper so they can see how to handle it. You will then do a painting of a lovely birch tree. Here is Donna’s registration form for your convenience in knowing class content, venue details and registration.
Here are examples of the birch tree painting referenced above:
CMW Meeting- October 9, 2017 at the Paramount Art Studios – registration at 6 PM; meeting begins at 6:20 pm and a demonstration by Suz Galloway. Suz will focus on a wet into wet approach to underwater rocks. She will also show her poured approach to her “Moonlight Painting accepted by Courage Kenny as one of their 2017 holiday card collection pieces. Here are images of her paintings. Further information can be found at her website: birchbriarstudios.com.
CMW Meeting- November 13, 2017 at the Paramount Art Studios – registration at 6 PM; meeting begins at 6:20 pm followed by a demo by Karen Knutson. Karen is known for her unique contemporary semi-abstract paintings. Here are some examples of her work. Her website is karenknutson.com.
Here’s some information from Karen’s website:
“I paint watercolors because I love its free and wild qualities, forcing the artist to adjust to its many moods. For the past few years, I’ve added collage and acrylic, which produces wonderful textures and color discoveries. My paintings are sometimes totally abstract, and sometimes there is something recognizable in the painting. I like my paintings to be different than “normal paintings” – anything that will make the viewer take a second look and be drawn into the painting! I used to be attracted to paintings with unusual colors, but now I’m drawn to paintings with dynamic design. First and foremost, I like to have fun while I paint, and I’m constantly trying out new things, so that I will grow as an artist. I feel like the luckiest person alive to be able to do something that I love so much!
My paintings are featured in Splash 6, Watercolor, Fun and Free, and Searching for the Artist Within , Watercolor- The Spirit of Spontaneity, Watercolor without Boundaries, The Artistic Touch 4, Watercolor- Making your Mark, and the magazine, Watercolor Magic (Aug.’04). I am a signature member of Transparent Watercolor Society of America,(formerly known as Midwest Watercolor Society), San Diego Watercolor Society, Red River Watercolor Society, the Montana Watercolor Society, and the Northern Plains Watercolor Society, the Minnesota Watercolor Society, NorthStar Watermedia Society, and Missouri Watercolor Society.”
Great River Arts (GRA) CMW “Watercolor Magic” Show– Little Falls, MN – October, 2017
Exciting news: From this show, there will be a Members’ Choice Award of $50 with voting by CMW members to be done on the CMW Website.
Here are some key points:
* You may submit up to 4 paintings (no repeat paintings) for this show — members are encouraged to sign up for this show. Fee is $5 to sign up -notify Yvonne Schrank at email@example.com with a deadline of September 25. Submission of the images is Sept. 25th to Mary Buhl at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
* GRA collects a commission fee of 30% for GRA members; 40% for non-GRA members. Note that GRA membership fee is $30.
* If you want to have your paintings transported to the GRA Gallery in Little Falls,
please bring them to Watab Hall on Thursday, September 28th
between 1-4 PM. Otherwise be sure to arrange for transport to the Great River Gallery for the hang from 10-2 on Saturday, September 30.
* The Reception will be held October 28th from 12 – 2 and involved artists should
be present. After the reception, the artists may take their paintings down by 3 PM.
* For those of you who cannot attend the reception or stop in to pick up your paintings
there will be transport of the paintings back to Watab Hall. Pickup of your paintings
may be done between 1-4 pm on Thursday, November 2nd.
Member’s Choice Award
* Participating Artists in GRA show, please submit your jpeg images along with title,
size, and price to Mary Buhl at email@example.com by Monday, September 25th.
* CMW Members: After the GRA show opens go to GRA Show, a special tab and page of images on this website, to view paintings and then to vote once for your favorite painting – Deadline is October 26th. There will be a link for voting on that page.
* Winner will be announced at the Monday, November 13th CMW member meeting.
Paramount Lobby Show – October 30- December 4, 2017
Registration Deadline : October 10th, 2017 Please send your images along with title, size, price and a statement about the painting. The statement could be about what inspired you, an approach that you used, what the painting conveys etc. This early deadline is for promotional purposes.
HANGING : Monday Oct 30 4-5pm ($5 show fee for 1 or 2 paintings) gallery takes 40% commission
TAKEDOWN: Monday Dec4 10am-noon. Art must be gone by noon to allow new show hanging that afternoon.
The Paramount has advertised this event in their Fall brochure. There is a $5 signup fee. Sign up soon with Yvonne Schrank at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: There will be no show at the River’s Edge Convention Center this year.
Coming in October this Fall: David Smith workshop – Dates will be October 19-21st. Registration is being coordinated by Derick Segerstrom at the Paramount Visual Arts Center. Contact him at (320) 257-5928 or email@example.com to register or put your name on a waiting list . Topics to be covered are: “Master the Mist”, “Stunning Sculptures”, and “Pour the Glow”. One day will be spent on each topic. His website is https://dsmithfineart.com/
2017 Art Crawls: Nov. 3, 2017 – Thank you to Linda Addicott and Margaret Werlinger for volunteering to demo at the Paramount Visual Art Center.
** Paint with your colleagues:
Monday mornings “Silver Brushes” participants paint at the Whitney Center; see Whitney Website for details
Thursday afternoons – 12:30 – 4 – Paint to your heart’s content on your own agenda; held at Watab Hall (where CMW annual meetings
have been held.) There is an open invitation for anyone ( even if you’re not a CMW member; even if you use other art mediums) to attend.
CMW Website Update
1. Security Update – CMW has engaged the services of Sitelock for continual monitoring and preventive services related to viruses, Trojans, hacks and malware increasing activity. You should not notice any problems interacting with our website. Please notify Mary Buhl at firstname.lastname@example.org if you do.
2. Posts – For those of you who have subscribed to the website and get new posts in your email and if the email is “quirky” ie. hard to read due to size, or is disjointed where breaks occur in the sentences, please go to the website where you will find the post more cohesive. You can also enlarge images on the website and you cannot do that in an email. Computer functions can be so varied.
3. New Website Process for CMW Shows – Beginning this Fall we are asking members who are entering CMW shows to send a jpeg image of their paintings to Mary for display on our website. In addition to the actual painting – title, price, size, medium* and a statement related to the painting is needed. * It will be assumed that the medium is watercolor unless stated otherwise.
Galleries are becoming more active about promoting shows and they want to use current images in those efforts. CMW is benefited by getting free, early advertising and exposure to attract key audiences. If you need assistance in any of these efforts i.e. photography, downloading/ uploading of images or anything else in the process please contact Mary Buhl at email (above).
4. YOUR Event – If you have an event (workshop, class, exhibit, show) you want to promote, send Mary your request with details and images if you wish, so that she can have your message go out in a post and will be available under the events tab. Remember – This is your website intended to serve you.