1. CMW has a new President– Kerry Kupferschmidt. After a lot of nervous waiting we are very happy to announce that Kerry Kupferschmidt has agreed to serve for the years of 2016 and 2017 as President of Central Minnesota Watercolorists. We look forward to continuing the full agenda of CMW events thoughout these next 2 years.
“After much soul searching I have decided to say “Yes.” Yes to being your next President of Central Minnesota Watercolorists! I look forward to playing a role in the continued growth of a great organization. We have a lot of exciting opportunities in the upcoming years and I am delighted to be part of that. I love watercolor and see much potential for us to express our creativity and continue to grow as artists. Stef and the rest of the board has made great progress in the last couple years. I only hope I can give everyone a nudge to continue to progress. I am glad to step up and help!”
2. CMW Meetings:
~~~The January CMW Meeting on the 11th included a demo on framing and matting by Robyn York. It was very informative and clarified many aspects about mat cutters, materials, technique and framing principles.
~~~The February CMW Meeting to be held Monday, Feb 8th in the Paramount Visual Art Center will be devoted to hearing from our new President and then having Easel Night where we may show our paintings along the theme of “Birds of a Feather” or any other work we would like to exhibit. If you like, you may ask for feedback on your work. If you need a ride, you may feel free to contact anyone from the CMW board and we will help line up a ride for you.
This is the last chance to sign up for the March Paint-in weekend at Campfire Bay from March 10-13th.
~~~For the March CMW Meeting to be held Monday the 14th, there is a change in the demonstrator presentation. Taking Pat Choffrut’s place will be Gail Speckmann focusing on abstract paintings. You may click on her website to see her work: gailspeckmann.com.
3. Upcoming Shows:
* The Red River Watercolor Society (RRWS) is gearing up for the 23rd Annual National Watermedia Exhibition!
Deadline is February 1, 2016
Opening is May 17th, 2016 at the Plains Art Museum
Juried by Tom Francesconi, AWS, NWS, TWSA, WW
* FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE January 15, 2016 Contact: Rachel Daly, Director of Visual Arts 952-563-8570│email@example.com
Artistry Opens Call for Artists for 2018 Exhibition Year (Bloomington, MN) Emerging and established artists and artist groups residing in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, and Wisconsin who are 18 years or older are invited to submit a proposal for the 2018 Exhibition Program at Artistry. All proposals must be received online by March 31, 2016 to be considered. Individuals or groups working in any medium, with the exception of film or video, are eligible. Proposals will be reviewed by a jury panel who will select artists/artist groups based upon the quality of the artwork, creativity and originality, technical skill, and the overall quality of the proposal. Artists may be combined for a small group show or chosen for a solo exhibition to create a dynamic and exciting exhibition calendar that showcases a variety of media and styles. Artistry curates approximately fourteen exhibitions per year in the Inez Greenberg Gallery and Atrium Gallery, both located in the Bloomington Center for the Arts. There were over 48,000 visits to the Inez Greenberg Gallery in 2015. All proposals must be received online by March 31, 2016 to be considered and a $10 non-refundable application fee is required. For more information about application requirements and to apply, please visit artistrymn.org/visual_arts/apply/exhibit or contact Rachel Daly at 952-563-8570.
About Artistry: Artistry is a regional arts nonprofit serving more than 80,000 people annually through theater, visual arts, arts education, and creative placemaking programs. Artistry is a proud participant in the Twin Cities Ivey Awards and one of seven nonprofit organizations based in the Bloomington Center for the Arts. For more information, visit www.artistrymn.org or call 952-563-8575.
4. Congratulations !!
* Kerry Kupferschmidt won an Honorable Mention Award at the Jaques Art Center Annual Juried Show in Aitkin.
The show continues until February 20th, 2016. Here is his painting “Winter Departs” – Click on the painting to enlarge.
* Dan Mondloch’s painting “The Rocks at Jay Cook” and Bonnie Schwichtenberg’s painting “Looking for Dinner” have been accepted into the 2016 Essential Art Exhibition. The opening reception is January 22nd between 6:00 and 8:00. Awards will be presented at 7:00. Their paintings are below – click on them to enlarge.
5. Don’t forget to sign up for the Don Andrews Workshop at the Paramount Visual Arts Center to be held in April. There are only 6 spots remaining. See prior posts for further information.