We start off with a new month and many events(LOTS) on the calendar!
CMW Meetings * February 8th, 6PM at Paramount Arts Studio— Bring your interpretive painting of “Birds of a Feather” for our Easel night -even if you haven’t completed it. Or you can bring any piece as you wish. You can explain your approach and ask for input as desired. There will also be an overview of the CMW website and what’s next. This is also the last chance to register for the Campfire Bay Weekendfrom March 10-13.
* March 14th, 6 PM at Paramount Arts Studio— There will be a demo on abstract painting from Gail Speckmann. You may click on her website to see her work: gailspeckmann.com.
* April (date ??) 6 PM at Paramount Arts Studio —Watch this websiteand the CMW newsletter for an official announcement about the date of the meeting. The plan is to have a demo by Don Andrews, our spring workshop artist, sometime
in the first week of April.
2. CMW Shows * Whitney Senior Center– CMW Show runs from February 1 – March 31.
*Good Shepherd Nursing Home, Sauk Rapids – March 1-31.
Hang date is March 1st. Enter the main entrance and check in withJodi Speicher for direction to the art display area
*St. Cloud Hospital – “Labor of Love” – May 1-31. Information due to Robyn York by April 26, 2016.
3. Events ( Educational and Other Activities)
Campfire Bay Painting Weekend Final arrangements are being confirmed for the March 10-13th CMW painting weekend. This will be great fun. Payment is due at the Feb CMW meeting. Registrations will close as of that date. Please contact Robyn York to sign up. Her email is email@example.com.
Share Your Art! Holdingford High School FAN Club (Fine Arts Now) is looking for YOU to share your talents for our “Celebration of the Arts” event on Sunday March 13th from 1-3:00pm at the Holdingford High School, with a focus on having several “hand on” activities for people to try. We want to celebrate that art is all around us, so we have people joining us from ALL kinds of arts: song, dance, instrumentals, speeches, woodworking, cake decorating, hair stylist, balloon tying, florist, the list goes on! We want you to join us and celebrate your art! We are looking for artists to volunteer your talents and help us to celebrate art all around us. In exchange for volunteering your talents we encourage you to bring anything to promote your business/service.If you are willing to share your talents with our community, please contact Geriann Friday at firstname.lastname@example.org call 320-333-5577. Items also accepted for our silent auction/raffle.
Don Andrews Workshop at Paramount Visual Arts Center ( St. Cloud) This workshop runs from April 5-8th and will focus on painting persons in landscapes. Please contact the Paramount Visual Arts Center for registration.
Upcoming Anne Abgott Workshop (Iowa)
The Le Mars Iowa Arts Center is hosting a three day workshop by Anne Abgott in May of 2016. Cost is just $225 for all 3 days. A meet and greet will be on May 23, workshop from 9 – noon and 1 – 4 on May 24 – 26. We invite any of you that are interested to please contact me for more details by email or phone. We are a 501 (c)(3) Non profit organization. Judy Marienau, Administrator 712-546-7476 or email email@example.com
North Star Artist Market This event in event will include all kinds of watercolor and watermedia, continuous demo’s under the big mirror, artists at work on the sidelines every day, a chance to visit with artists. Art is for sale, all original works, even cards are original artworks. Free admission. Contact the northstarwatermedia.com site if interested.
Kathy Braud is giving a demo under the big mirror at Artist Market 2016 at 6 PM Friday evening, May 14, 2016. A floral – loose and abstract is the plan for that demo.
4. Announcements * Congratulations – Sandra Driscollwas accepted into the Arts In Harmony for this year. The show runs from Feb 1 to March 24 at the Sherbourne County building in Elk River. A reception will be held Feb 7 from 1:00 to 3:30. Here is one of her paintings:
* Congratulations also go out to Kathy Braudfor several accomplishments:
The 2016 Juried Exhibit is on display at the Jaques Art Center, Aitkin, MN which goes until February 20th, 2016 Judge, Derek Davis.
She has 3 art pieces on display at that exhibit. Here is one of her works:
Kathy has a watercolor art exhibition at the Amherst H. Wilder Foundation, St Paul, MN January – March 2016
Kathy will also be the featured exhibit artist at the Crossing Arts in Brainerd for February and March. Saturday, Feb 13 will be a meet and greet plus a demo from 10 AM – 2 PM.
*Phishing- without a line, hook and sinker!! Recently some phishing emails have come to the CMW website. So, how do you know if an email is real or is phishing. Here are some cautionary tips for you:
* You will note unusual or strange language used – references are general and not specific. * It is common that there are compliments of some kind that are made
* They often refer to a different website
* The emails commonly are of a gmail address and there are numbers associated with the name ie
firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a red flag for a phishing email.
It’s going to be an exciting year; there are many activities planned. Here are a few that are coming up in the near future:
1. CMW Meetings: (Please bring a printed or original watercolor card to donate to our Sunshine Boxto be used to support our members as needed.)
January 11, 2016 at the Paramount Visual Art Studios: Sign in at 6 PM; meeting begins at 6:20. Featured will be a matting demo and framing demo by Robyn York. Many people have questions about this topic and we will have ample time for a Q & A session so be sure to bring yours. February 8, 2016at the Paramount Visual Art Studios: Sign in at 6 PM; meeting begins at 6:20. This will be “Easel Night” with members invited to show their paintings of the President’s challenge i.e. “Birds of a Feather” – whatever your interpretation of this theme will be. And you may show any other painting that you wish. This is all about the fun and learning of our art as it is to each of us and is not a critique though you may request input. March 14, 2016 at the Paramount Visual Art Studios: Sign in at 6 PM; meeting begins at 6:20. Featured will be a demo by Minnesota watercolorist, Pat Choffrut. You may see her work on Etsy, Pinterest or You tube.
2. Upcoming shows: Robyn York Contact info: email@example.com * St. Cloud Hospital Show: “Labor of Love” Feb. 1-29 Signup to Robyn York by **January 26th**. $5 entry fee/artist for the show. * Whitney Show: February 1 – March 31. Signup to Robyn York by **January 26th**.No entry Fee for this show. *Good Shepherd Show: March 1-31. Signup to Robyn York by **February 25th**. $5 entry fee/artist for the show.
3. CMW dues needed by January 31st.Art by members who are on the CMW website will be removed once their dues lapse. Please send your payment or contact Robyn York in regard to your member status.
4. Don Andrews Workshop in St. Cloud– This workshop will be held at the Paramount Visual Arts Studio April 5-8, 2016. The Paramount will open this up to the general public so be sure to contact Derick Segerstrom at the Paramount soon to make your reservation. There will also be a demo by Don at the April CMW meeting. To register, contact Derick Segerstrom by phone: 320) 257-5928 or by clicking here: firstname.lastname@example.org 5. Campfire Bay Paint In Weekend – March 10-13th. Register soon – first come, first serve . The CMW Board has decided to open the weekend up to other watercolorists so contact Robyn York to get your name on the list. It will be a great time to paint – the studio will be open 24/7 for us so you can go with the flow of your creative clock! Payment in full will be due February 8th (at CMW meeting) at the latest. Day guests are welcome for a fee of $45 which does include the studio fee.
6. Kerry Kupferschmidt Classes– Kerry will be teaching Watercolor Class I for Brainerd Community Education. It is an “intermediate level” class, emphasizing landscape & color mixing/ glazing. Dates for the class are Feb 11th – March 17th, 2016. 5 classes 6:30- 9:00 pm at Falcon Ridge Middle school, Baxter MN. It will be in their Community Ed Bulletin too. Contact Kerry at email@example.com if you need further information.
A solo show by Sandra Driscoll is taking place in Little Falls, MN at the Morrison County Government Building gallery during the months of December through February.
2. Registrationfor Don Andrews Workshop: April 5-8, 2016 – Sign up NOW by calling Derick at 320-257-5928 We are extremely fortunate to have Don Andrews, nationally known watercolorist, conduct a 4 day workshop for CMW members and painters from the surrounding area. Don is a an active member of the American Watercolor Society as well as a past board member. He has authored many books and DVDs as well as articles in American Artist and American Artist Watercolor Edition.
Be sure to sign up immediately to secure a spot with Don since this workshop will be available to the public also. The fee is $375. Don will ALSO give the CMW membership a demo on April 4 or 5. Date to be decided soon.
3. Call for Art – Essential Art Show 2016 Visual Arts Minnesota seeks entries for the Essential Art 2016 juried exhibition. Open to Minnesota residents. Register artwork in any media (painting, drawing, sculpture, photography, etc.) completed within the past two years. The Essential Art Exhibition has been an opportunity for artists to come together on a yearly basis and exhibit their best work. Included in the process is an artist critique on the day of the reception with the juror and a docent talk of the winning pieces during the reception.
* NEW THIS YEAR: Jurying will be online and only accepted work will be delivered to the gallery.
DEADLINE: 11:59 PM on Tuesday, December 29th, 2015. Register online at www.visualartsminnsota.com. Late applications will not be considered. Accepted works will be notified on Monday, January 4th, 2016. $1750 in Awards!! 1st Place: $500 (in each 2D & 3D) 2nd Place: $250 (in each 2D & 3D) 3rd Place: $125 (in each 2D & 3D)
4. CMW Newsletter and Tips is now on the websiteso be sure to see those tabs. The newsletter has LOTS of show and event information for you to note on your calendar.
5. CMW Holiday Meeting – December 14, 2015: Begin to gather at 6 PM. There will be an original holiday card exchange, treats and a viewing prize winners from the national Transparent National Water Society show.